National Placemaking Action Week
Placemaking Action Week is a movement of people like you. Project for Public Spaces defines placemaking as “both an overarching idea and a hands-on approach to improving a neighbourhood.”
The objectives of the project are two-fold:
To encourage small actions in local neighborhoods that promote community connection.
To share existing placemaking projects from across the globe.
It is about celebrating placemaking in all shapes and forms. This will allow us to become a global public-facing week of action to complement regional placemaking activities and conferences. You can check out the Placemaking Action Week website here to learn more: https://placemakingactionweek.com/.
We are excited to continue growing the placemaking movement during Placemaking Action Week from the 3rd to the 9th of October 2022! Make sure to take a look at the detailed schedule of events for this week down below:
Wednesday, October 5th
- 6:00pm - 7:30pm
- Comical Creations
- In honor of your service to our nation, Arts Place, Purdue University, Ball State University, and Creative Arts for Vets invite you to a wellness experience with art. This event is open to veterans and those currently serving (active duty, national guard, or reserves). Please bring a friend, your spouse, or an adult family member. No art skills? No problem! Join us for interactive art games celebrating laughter and creative connections. To register, please go to bit.ly/IUCRE-CAV For any questions please contact Arts Place at (260) 726-4809 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Todd Burkhardt at email@example.com.
Thursday, October 6th
- 10:00am - 9:00pm
- Arts Place Open House
- Everyone's welcome to come visit Arts Place's Jay County Campus!
- 9:30am - 11:00am
- JB Goodrich will be sharing his skills with Jay Randolph Developmental Services in this creative clay class at Arts Place's Hudson Center for the Visual Arts (located across the street from our Jay County Campus)!
- Story Circle with Jay County Civic Theatre
- Carol Knarr Gebert is leading this fun and interactive story telling class at the Jay County Campus of Arts Place! The class is geared towards everyone 10 years of age and older.
- Cultural Mapping
- Everyone is welcome to join us for lunch and a walk around town! In celebration of National Placemaking Activation Week, Prosperity Indiana will be facilitating a series of fun opportunities for Portland residents to imagine and reimagine downtown Portland as a Cultural District. Cultural Districts are economic drivers that strengthen quality of life and increase community pride. Join us and let your voice be heard regarding what community assets can be leveraged to support creative business as well as opportunities for events and performances that reflect local identity and encourage community vitality.
Monday, October 3rd - Wednesday, October 5th
- 1:00pm - 5:00pm
- Chalk Art with Sarah Shaffer
- Our artist in residence, Sarah Shaffer, will be doing chalk art right outside our Jay County Campus' front door in the circle driveway. Everyone is welcome to stop by and watch or even participate!
Sunday, October 9th
- 2:00pm - 4:00pm
- Open Mic Poetry Reading
- Poet Lylanne Musselman will be hosting and reading at DeJa Brew Espresso Bar in Hartford City, and anyone who writes poetry is welcome to come share too. If you don’t want to share, but enjoy poetry - just come and listen. If you have questions or want to get on the reading list early, email: BCAC@myartsplace.org or call 765.348.4154.
- 1:00pm - 3:00pm
- Creating in Nature
- Come to Mill Park in St. Marys for an afternoon of creating in nature! Simple Things Crafting will be doing a free art class, students from the high school will be installing a week-long art installation in the park, and we'll have homemade chalk paint for kids to decorate the park's splashpad!
Saturday, October 8th
- 10:00am - 1:00pm
- Chalk Art Mural
- Our artist in residence, Sarah Shaffer, will be bringing her artistic talents to our Blackford County Arts Center in Hartford City! Be sure to stop by and see the chalk art mural!